20060530

Empire of the Sun



i watched the Empire of the Sun today. Well, i've seen the movie when i was younger. I believed that i watched it on a LD machine, in fact. I vaguely remember that it was a fairly sad and powerful film; one about WWII and Japanese invasion. I've always wanted to see it again. Therefore, i bought the movie last month when i spotted in at walmart for 6 bucks.

Spieberg is a genius. The film is absolutely beautiful and heart wrenching to watch. The loss of innocence. The frightening and sublime aspect of war. The naked portray of human nature: courage, resilience, trust, betrayl, survival, honour, friendship, and humility. We witness the war through the eyes of a british prep boy as he discovered (?) the ugliness of live beyond his sheltered past. The boy was fantastic in the film. I found him quite an familiar face, and later realized that he's the star in Batman returns-Christian Bale.

Amazing movie. Thought provoking. i definitely would recommend it to all of ya. ( just be sure to have tissue ready cus you are bound to shed a tear or two.)

Time to get back to painting

cheerio.

2 comments:

FT said...

I had no idea that kid is batman!
I watched that in like gr. 8. Same here, eventhough I don't remember much, I think I'll appreciate the film way more now if I watch it again.

Unknown said...

all i could remember was the theme song, which is like onions coz it will have ur tears poured out like there's no tomorrow.